Worth it?

Hatred

When was the last time you said you "hate someone"? 
To my colleagues reading this, I presume someone from school. Someone you probably don't know well, but decided to hate because you heard the rumours fly around.
"Her? Her who did this? Who talks like that? Hah, I hate her!"
Ask yourself. If this person never truly gave you the reason to hate them, never was in your way, probably never spoke to you worth "hating"?
I'm going to get a tad vulnerable now so brace yourself

   


We truly are living the classic high school life, aren't we? Rife with drama, filled with gossip, rumours flying like birds in the skies of our campus. Anyone from our grade, we have something to say about. 
In 2018 (roughly) we saw the emergence of "confession pages" with our school's name, aghast with our names. As we all know, mine was not quite in the background. Turned out people had quite a bit to say about me. Given that these pages kept the person incognito, there was absolutely no filter in what they verbalised for me. 
Downright hateful names, false allegations, and rumours were the strings attached to my name as a result of you guys reading these.
It was terribly a lonely time for me. It felt like no one understood, and I spent many a nights thinking what made people do this. Was it my character? My past friendships? The way I spoke? I never knew. 
I was of course not the only one. Several people fell into a downward spiral as a result of featured on these pages. I saw my friends also get disturbed by this. 

Now I wonder, what creates the need to let everyone see the skeleton in their cupboard. What makes someone completely tarnish someone else's image. The conclusion, rather narcissistic that I always come to is insecurity. And to help the person writing these there needs to be assurance. There needs to be compassion among fellow peers. 

Have you wondered, why can we all just not get along? I believe its because of indifference, but it doesn't really exist. We hate certain people because of the notion that they hate us back or because of strings attached to their name. Now, is it worth it to put the person already going through the turmoil of having an anonymous hater through harsh denial because of that? I don't think so. 
As I said before, just being considerate towards others, regardless of how their life is projected is a huge aspect in creating an air of positivity. And I still stand by it. Right now, if our school would engage in a "trust fall" (where a person is made to fall backwards, with their eyes closed, the idea being, their schoolmates would catch them)  exercise, do you think the hated person would close their eyes? I think not. They would likely be intimidated by the past. Probably not have confidence to have people who pulled them down to catch them.

✰an insight:
What hit me the hardest was when someone (who probably disliked me) had to make conversation with me because they couldn't avoid it but at the end told me, "Wow, you're not like you were made out to be!" This goes to show that unless you experience the hated person yourself, there is absolutely no reason for you to also hop in the "I hate x person" train. 

I, being someone in the hated category, would like to change this. All I am asking of you, reader, is to be considerate about whoever you read about. That alone, will make things much better at our dear old hatred laced school. 
Signing off, I want to say, on behalf of every person who was written about, is it worth it to lose rapport and friendship with us based off of a mere social media post?

Until next time,
Pushti


Comments

  1. Loved it, Pushti! Very Well Written..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Upasana! Coming from you, it means a lot!

      Delete
  2. I really love it, Pushti! and the way you tired to make each individual comprehend the agenda of your blog by the example of trust exercise was truly fab! Keep writing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeeya! You having noticed and captured the gist of my blog so well is truly amazing! It does mean a lot to me, thank you so much! 💕

      Delete
  3. You have represented all others who are in such a situation as you...Brave of u to raise ur voice! Very good...Well written... keep it up...Proud of you...👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kavya!! This means a lot to me coming from someone as articulate and smart as you! 🤍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Common Ground